With NXT TakeOver: WarGames powered by quite the slate of high-profile matches, the brand’s tag-team division has the ability to come out as the overall winner in Houston, Texas this weekend. Although both the fatal four-way match for the vacant NXT Women’s Championship and the matchup between Drew McIntyre and Andrade “Cien” Almas for the NXT Championship have already begun turning some heads, there is only one can’t-miss match currently on Saturday evening’s card.
Despite the fact that SAnitY will be leaving Houston as the NXT Tag-Team Champions as their belts will not be on the line, there is no other outcome for this nine-man tag-team bout outside of extremely successful. With The Authors of Pain — alongside Roderick Strong — and The Undisputed Era rounding out the competitors, the three teams will notably be engaging in a WarGames Match.
With such a match making its return after nearly 20 years while coming over to the WWE umbrella for the first time ever, the aforementioned trio of teams will be waging war inside of one massive steel cage that surrounds not only one, but two rings. With the majority of the WWE Universe bewildered by this rarely seen event, the official rules for this type of match are as follows:
- All three teams will be contained inside separate shark cages by the entranceway, with a member of each team (as chosen by his respective squad) starting the match.
- After five minutes, the remaining members of one team will be released from their shark cage and allowed to enter the match.
- When another three-minute period elapses, the remaining members of a second team are released from their shark cage and enter the match.
- Following another three-minute period, the final team’s members are released from their shark cage and enter the match.
- Once all three teams have entered the WarGames Match, a victory can be attained via pinfall or submission.
Thanks to this unique set of rules, the NXT tag-team division will not only be stealing the show but will also no doubt continue to serve as a staple of each week’s episode of NXT. Because SAnitY, The Authors of Pain and The Undisputed Era have impressively set up this rivalry over the course of the last several weeks, Saturday’s winners will certainly have the upper hand going forward but that does not mean that the remaining two teams will be too far behind in the pecking order.
Currently a three-team race atop the division, it remains to be seen as to whether the belts change hands sooner rather than later in the aftermath of this WarGames Match. However, due to the fact that absolutely no one can predict what will happen after Saturday’s slate in Houston, the WWE Universe will be forced to tune-in week in and week out. While SAnitY currently reigns supreme atop the NXT tag-team division, the division as a whole now sits at the top of the program.
Can The Authors of Pain return to glory? Is The Undisputed Era now in line to make their stamp on NXT? Will SAnitY’s ability to compete as a cohesive unit prove too difficult for their opponents? Although each of those questions still needs to be answered, one thing is for certain: Chaos will ensue.