Keeping a similar theme alive, we will once again be looking at the Survivor Series landscape after dialing back the clock to 1987 just last week. With the 2017 version of the Survivor Series pay-per-view now only one week away, FRS SLAM’s latest installment of the WWE Network Dive will be delving into Survivor Series 2016.
Event: Survivor Series 2016
Location: Air Canada Centre (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
Date: November 20, 2016
Estimated Attendance: 17,143
Duration: 3 hours, 26 minutes
- Noam Dar, Rich Swann and T.J. Perkins defeat Ariya Daivari, Drew Gulak and Tony Nese (Six-Man Tag-Team Match)
- Kane defeats Luke Harper (Singles Match)
- Alicia Fox, Bayley, Charlotte, Nia Jax and Sasha Banks defeat Alexa Bliss, Becky Lynch, Carmella, Naomi and Natalya (5-on-5 Survivor Series Elimination Match)
- The Miz defeats Sami Zayn (Singles Match For Intercontinental Championship)
- Cesaro and Sheamus, Enzo and Big Cass, Gallows and Anderson, The New Day and The Shining Stars defeat American Alpha, Breezango, Heath Slater and Rhyno, The Hype Bros and The Usos (10-on-10 Survivor Series Elimination Match)
- The Brian Kendrick defeats Kalisto (Singles Match For The Cruiserweight Championship)
- A.J. Styles, Bray Wyatt, Dean Ambrose, Randy Orton and Shane McMahon defeat Braun Strowman, Chris Jericho, Kevin Owens, Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins (5-on-5 Survivor Series Elimination Match)
- Goldberg defeats Brock Lesner (Singles Match)
Key Match To Watch:
Despite the presence of three top-notch Survivor Series elimination matches in the midst of a nearly three-and-a-half-hour long pay-per-view event, the key match in last year’s installment lasted under two minutes. With Goldberg returning to the ring to take on “The Beast Incarnate” Brock Lesnar, the monstrous showdown ultimately ended with the former taking down the beast in a mere one minute and 26 seconds.
Although Goldberg initially served as a massive underdog, or so we all thought, the heralded superstar promptly hit Lesnar with a pair of spears and his patented jackknife. Even after a 12-year hiatus, Goldberg’s in-ring debut turned the WWE Universe on its axis while he didn’t even need a full three minutes to do so. However, while the brief Survivor Series showdown was certainly unexpected, the tandem of living legends would then again throw down at WrestleMania 33, which ended in a Lesnar victory. It is also worth noting that while last year’s singles match was not for a title, the WrestleMania clash sure was as Goldberg notably dropped the WWE Universal Championship at the hands of Lesnar.
Though the world saw the title change hands at WrestleMania 33, none of that — or even Goldberg’s timely title reign — would have been possible without this main event matchup at Survivor Series 2016.
Why Survivor Series 1987?
This of this as a prep for next weekend. Because Survivor Series has not always operated under the Monday Night Raw versus SmackDown Live format, 2016’s installment of the annual event can serve as a bit of a refresher course in how the pay-per-view will go in Houston.
Similarly to last year, this time around will feature four must-see matches including three Survivor Series elimination matches and the clash of the titans as the Raw and Smackdown Live champions battle it out in the main event. Although the key match to watch from 2016 was in fact the main event bout, something tells me that 2017’s can’t-miss match will come in the form of the 5-on-5 Survivor Series elimination match captained by Kurt Angle and Shane McMahon.